I decided to make the doors from sheet metal instead of the way they are constructed in the plans. Why? Mainly because I didn’t like the construction that after a while you will see some ridges where the door skin is attached to the doorframe.
As said before I’ve been 3D-printing a lot of parts, it would have been a great help to have the skins put on before doing this. However this was not the case and I found out that the parts didn’t fit, I suspect that they were made for wooden frames, but a little bit of brainstorming I made hybrid parts, just kept the compartment from the 3d-printed parts and made a new front in aluminum, turned out even better!
My father was kind enough to make me aluminium greeblies for R5, they are great. From the start I have always wanted to have light in the ”eyes”. This was achieved by using a dooreye (peephole) and a 9000 mcd high intensity led, it really lights up nicely.
Soon there will be more skins and finalization of the dome and prepping for paint.
One issue that needs to be resolved is the neckring, I want it to look like aluminium…